I used to work in venture capital, and then I realized: as the internet seeps into everything, the future belongs to those who code — so I left investing to build things on the internet. I’m now working in online education; if you’re ambiently curious, I can send you updates.
A few projects
- Robin, ideas around using the internet to teach and learn programming
- Teach APCS, an open-source collection of material for AP Computer Science classes
- Why in Satoshi's name would you want a bitcoin?, because what’re we supposed to do with these cryptothings?
- Hoot, an Android app, with Matt Spitz
- Join Startups, because it’s decently difficult to figure out which startups are hiring when you’re not part of one
- Changeslogged, because I found logging Laisin’s changes so helpful
- Laisin, the first thing-with-a-database! I built. (Subscribe! And I'll send you a book each month.) Here’s its changelog.
- Human-powered pelletizer, which (sorta) turned biomass into fuel for smallholder farmers
- A long paper about how children in rural Tanzania spend their time using World Bank LSMS data.
- Build Products, about making new things
- Learning Online, about building tools for online learning
- Building Android First, about, well, building an Android app before an iOS one
- Learning to Build, about quitting my job to code
- Notes on M-Pesa about the mobile money service that has higher penetration in Kenya than Facebook has in the US.
- Things that make me excited about technology
- What Comes Next, about a summer visiting tech-company accelerators
- Books read in 2014, 2013, and back to mid 2008. (What should I read next?)
- Favorite podcasts: Chicago Public Radio, The Economist, Deutsche Welle, NPR, Radio France Internationale, Stanford ETL, and WHYY.
- Predictions about the future
A little design
- An earlier iteration on The Product Sessions with Gary Chou
- Syllabus, assignments, students’ take, and my write-up of the Entrepreneurial Design class Gary and I taught at SVA.
- “A new etiquette for the digital age” (English, Deutsch)
- Early stage venture capital at Union Square Ventures in New York City
- Service design work at the Deutsch Telekom Creation Center in Berlin
- Pumps and pelletizers for smallholder farmers with IDE Ethiopia in Ziway
- News stories on East Africa’s technology and business for The Independent in Kampala
- Statistics and a longer report for the ILO TICW project in Bangkok
- Interviews about gacaca and prison parole with LDGL in Kigali